5:23 PM
Welcome Guest
RSS

Mid Michigan Beekeeper's Club
Main Registration Login
Tim and Katy's Intro - Forum - Swarm Call - local items for sale »
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum - Swarm Call - local items for sale » Introductions - Each new member pls choose "New Topic" and say hello » Introductions » Tim and Katy's Intro (Intro)
Tim and Katy's Intro
TimKatyDate: Saturday, 2009-06-06, 11:15 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Checked
Hi All,
We are new to this, just started with 2 "nucs"! We like it so far and the club is a great resource. We had one of our hive swarm last week, which caught us by surprise! Now we're curious about the poison. Tim saw a couple of dead bees near the hives (about 50 ft) and they had their tongues hanging out. Some were flipping around on the ground and acting kind of crazy?! I hope we don't lose the whole hive. Does anyone know if the powder version of "Sevin" is worse than the liquid? Our neighbor sprays for everything:-( Thanks in advance.

LumpyGravyDate: Sunday, 2009-06-07, 0:29 AM | Message # 2
Sergeant
Group: Administrators
welcome to the web page!

JimDate: Monday, 2009-06-08, 9:48 AM | Message # 3
Sergeant
I would suggest that powder and liquid have the same active ingredients but in different concentrations. As for which one is worse I don't know. Which ever one ends up on your bees is the worst in the end. Tis better to see a poisoned bee away from the hive than at the hive. The last thing you want is bees making it back to the hive with the poison in tow. If you see the drunken behavior back at the hive with many bees staggering out of the hive and perishing its time to be really concerned and maybe too late. Now, if I suspect a hive has been poisoned, the way I would attempt to save it would be to shake all the bees, queen included, into a different box on new, or at least different foundation or comb. My thought here is that the poison, once brought back to the hive, gets into the comb. Perhaps putting the bees on new foundation and feeding them will give them a chance to start over.

Cheers
Jim

LumpyGravyDate: Monday, 2009-06-08, 6:30 PM | Message # 4
Sergeant
well its been a couple days has the hive survived?

Forum - Swarm Call - local items for sale » Introductions - Each new member pls choose "New Topic" and say hello » Introductions » Tim and Katy's Intro (Intro)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Website builderuCoz