Thursday
2024-03-28
4:25 AM
Welcome Guest
RSS

Mid Michigan Beekeeper's Club
Main Registration Login
Differences in wax or plastic foundation for the frames - Forum - Swarm Call - local items for sale »
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum - Swarm Call - local items for sale » Helpfull Idea's and Discussion » Honey production and methods » Differences in wax or plastic foundation for the frames (Differences in wax or plastic)
Differences in wax or plastic foundation for the frames
KAS1210Date: Thursday, 2009-08-27, 7:57 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Checked
Can anyone elaborate on this, which do you prefer and is there really a difference?

JimDate: Saturday, 2009-08-29, 8:49 PM | Message # 2
Sergeant
Group: Administrators
Hi Kim. The plastic foundation typically has a beeswax coating on it, and is easiest to install in a frame. You just pop it right in by bending it a little bit. Pure beeswax takes a little more effort. it needs to be inserted into the frame's bottom slot and then held into the top via a slim piece of wood called a wedge which is then nailed or stapled to hold the top in position. Then it should be wired into place to hold it firmly and keep it from blowing out in an extractor when removing the honey. In fact on the main page of this site there is a video demonstration of me installing some waxed foundation. As to preference, it's really a personal call. I used to use plastic because it was so much more convenient. I have found, however, that the bees tend to do a better job combing out the pure beeswax; i.e. less bridge comb and more evenly distributed comb thickness wise. I believe cost difference is basically insignificant. Like I said though, you'll hear different opinions from different beekeepers. Hope this helps.

Cheers smile
Jim Withers

Forum - Swarm Call - local items for sale » Helpfull Idea's and Discussion » Honey production and methods » Differences in wax or plastic foundation for the frames (Differences in wax or plastic)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Website builderuCoz