Friday
2024-04-19
9:49 PM
Welcome Guest
RSS

Mid Michigan Beekeeper's Club
Main Registration Login
Is it against city code to have hives within city limits? - Forum - Swarm Call - local items for sale »
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum - Swarm Call - local items for sale » Open Discussion Area » Bee Related » Is it against city code to have hives within city limits?
Is it against city code to have hives within city limits?
KAS1210Date: Wednesday, 2009-07-01, 9:23 AM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Checked
Just curious, because code enforcment is out in the city ticketing violators of tall lawns & trash in yards, and if it is not against city code do they have restrictions (eg. fence around hives) Thanks
Kim

JimDate: Wednesday, 2009-07-01, 2:51 PM | Message # 2
Sergeant
Group: Administrators
Even if the city had an ordinance against keeping bees it would be unenforceable. Beekeeping falls under the right to farm act and unless someone files a complaint against your bees in particular for being a nuisance there's nothing the city can do. Example; if they try to make you get rid of your bees than you can sue the city for discrimination for not getting rid of any and all feral bee hives which may exist in any tree in the city. That example was given to me by Dave Anthony the president of Michigan Beekeepers Association. He said there are some communities which have anti bee ordinances, but MBA using the right to farm act challenged and proved those ordinances unenforceable. Also spoke to Genesee County Co-operative Extension Plant and Pest Hotline. They had no idea of whether any codes or ordinances exist. Amusingly, they told me I should contact someone from a local beekeeping club to get an answer. I said I am a member of a beeclub and was trying find an answer from local officials who should know. Whatever. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Common sense precautions prevail here. Don't keep your bees next to and facing you neighbors driveway or side walk for example. We know our bees aren't out to "get" anybody, but if we put their flightpath where many pedestrians pass or children play etc., stings are bound to happen from time to time. To avoid this try to find a place where they can get into their flight path unobtrusively. If you need to you can force them to fly up when leaving the hive by placing them within a small fenced in area. Are you coming to the picnic on July 11th? Should be lots of folks there with answers to your questions. Good luck

Cheers
Jim cool
Jim

KAS1210Date: Wednesday, 2009-07-01, 8:50 PM | Message # 3
Private
Group: Checked
Oh yes, I'll definately be at the picnic, lookin forward to it.....I had a city of flint inspector call me back about any ordinances against having hives in the city limits, there is none that he can find, and he said maybe check with your neighbors on ea. side to see if they're allergic to them just to be cautious, there would'nt be a problem unless there were complaints against them by my neighbors. I know my neighbors very well and were friendly neighbors, always saying hi and all that. I just thought I'd research this before getting into it and all, city code enforcement's been out last week writing violations for long grass & trash in yard. Thanks

LumpyGravyDate: Wednesday, 2009-07-01, 10:26 PM | Message # 4
Sergeant
Group: Administrators
my neighbor had a problem w/ my bees ... said he is super allergic.. My hive is no where near his property and when he complained i took off my shirt (don't recommend you do) and walked over to my beehive w/ my shirt off and shorts on and opened it and looked inside then closed it back up and went back to him.. I hadn't got stung once.. he backed down and said he was sure it wouldn't be a problem....

I wouldn't even recommend telling the neighbors anything.. just don't put it on top of them and don't put it where its a nuisance or in their face and I doubt they will even notice... bee's go out and forage 2 miles from the hive.. if they would have a problem w/ your hive and you don't put it where it would be a nuisance on purpose they cant single you out from anyone else in a 2 mile radius

in fact if they have flowering shrubs or plants at all in their yard you are doing them a big favor

I talked to Clint and he said in his experience ALL neighbors say they are allergic.. but most are not

But on the other hand I do plan on giving a little honey to each of my neighbors at the end of the season.. and ask them to keep an eye out for someone messing w/ my hive hehehehe

DonDate: Thursday, 2009-07-02, 5:47 AM | Message # 5
Private
Group: Moderators
A jar of honey goes a LONG way to happy neighbors!

In my instance, I conversationally engaged my neighbors and told them that I was a beekeeper. Most found it interesting, except one. That neighbor in particular claimed SEVERE allergies to bee stings, but had never been hospitalized or had his throat close up, which are common to severe allergic reactions. In reality, only 1 in 100 people truly are allergic. What people percieve as an allergic reaction (ie; pain, swelling, redness, itching, etc.) are just common reactions.

So, two years ago, I brought home empty hive boxes and set them up in my yard. The neighbor in question promptly accused me of having bees on the property. That year, and the next, I showed him that there were NO bees in the boxes, and that it was just spare equipment that I brought home to work on. (Wink!) What I was doing was preparing "decoys".

This year, however, I brought a couple hives into my yard. So far, no one has noticed them, or mentioned anything to me. My bee friendly neighbors have noticed no increased bee activity, and my bee's flight path goes up 20 feet before they leave my yard, and usually up and over top of my house. And, like Paul, I'm routinely out 6 feet away from my hives in a t-shirt and shorts. My neighbors seem to be none the wiser.

But... if they do mention something, a jar of honey is coming their way post haste!
DS

Forum - Swarm Call - local items for sale » Open Discussion Area » Bee Related » Is it against city code to have hives within city limits?
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Website builderuCoz